Monday, October 23, 2006

several different events

Event 1. at provide services even before your customers know what they want

At my Brookside worship service, Pastor Paul shared his waitering experience with a top-end restaurant. When he was working there, the manager of the restaurant taught him what to bring even before his customers know what they want; for example, he can warm coffee even before they know their coffee gets cold or empty. Now, it's my turn to apply this concept to my life (an expletive, oh,...).

Event 2. your prayers make differences

Philip Yancey, the author of Prayer, What's So Amazing About Grace?, Where Is God When It Hurts?, and a lot more, came to Calvin three days ago. I was sitting undercroft at Chapel paying attention on his speech. I wasn't really surprised by his speech maybe because I grew up in a Christian family (my mom has been a faithful Christian). However, his personal reflections questionnaire on prayer reminded me important rituals that I've been forgetting: prayer.

Questions starts with this: 1. On average, how much time do you devote during a day to prayer? What would you like that answer to be? (I would say less than an hour but more than 10 minutes since I spent several minutes at least for repentance; I'd like to make it to about thirty minutes a day because I would like to have an intimate relationship with my Creator, and without spending a significant time with Him, I probably cannot have a deep relationship let alone with growth.)

2. On a scale of 1 to 5 (with one being best), how would you rate your general satisfaction with your prayer life? (I'd say 3 (moderate) because I am in lukewarm stage.)

3. If you could ask one question of God about prayer, what would it be?
(I'd ask Him that how He would respond to an unrighteousness person's prayer. Would He listen?)

4. Think of a person you know who ranks as a "prayer warrior," one who keeps close communion with God. Why did they come to mind? What is it you admire about that person? (The warrior is my mom because I've been watching her prayer life. I admire her close relationship with my Father. )

5. Can you think of a time when God surprised you with an unexpected or very welcome answer to prayer? When? And what about unaswered prayer: What's your deepest longing in prayer that hasn't yet been met? (When I was an elementary student, I almost got hit by a truck. I think God saved by making me hit a electricity pole instead.)

Well, enough being said for now. I better finish grading my prof's IDIS class.
PS) Event 3. Attending Jewish Music Concert at Congregation Ahavas Israel, a Jewish santuary Event 4. My Brookside Discovery class

No comments:

Post a Comment