Sunday, October 26, 2014

[New Philly] The Cure for Confusion by Pastor Marcus Corpening

Date: October 26, 2014
Scripture: 1 Cor 2: 9-16
Title: The Cure for Confusion
Speaker:  Pastor Marcus Corpening
Message: 
definition of confusion by Merriam-Webster

  • : a situation in which people are uncertain about what to do or are unable to understand something clearly
  • : the feeling that you have when you do not understand what is happening, what is expected, etc.
  • : a state or situation in which many things are happening in a way that is not controlled or orderly

God wants me to live a life of clarity. 
  • todo: ask for the H.S.; walk by the Spirit if I want clarity; constantly be in connection with Him. 

Why are we finding us to be confused? Examples in the Bible
  • 1. Natural man (v.14): constantly seeks for intellect, trying harder with his own strengths (this was me)
    • Eph 4:17-20
  • 2. Spiritual Christian (v.15-16): discerns all things, led by the Spirit, walking in wisdom, having clarity of future and the mind of Christ 
    • The H.S. helps me to be in sync with the Lord God
    • todo: ask the H.S. open up my eyes to discover His way when making a decision 
  • 3. Fleshly/worldly Christian (1 Cor 3): knows all the right things but seeks something else, constantly living in confusion (this was me)

I don't remember the title for the following but prolly things I need to avoid?
  • 1. Gratifying the desire of the flesh (Gal 5:16-26)
  • 2. Grieving the Spirit (Eph 4:30 "Do not grieve the H.S. of God...")
    • If I hold bitterness, the action makes hard to hear from the Spirit.
  • 3. Quenching the Spirit
    • 1 Thes 5:19 e.g. through holding onto fear, we quench the Spirit

Do the following to check my status with the Holy Spirit:
  • ask how my time has been with the Word and prayer; when I do, how are those times? What's the quality of my heart in it?
    • If I want true intimacy, I need to deal with the issues with heart. 
  • ask "Am I right with You, God?" "Search me, oh, God, if I'm grieving Your Spirit." 

My Takeaway: 
I haven't let the Holy Spirit involve in my decision-making process in life in general. I have a strong tendency not to take time to pray but think through with logic. Lord, please use this opportunity to awaken me and start having you in my decision making. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. God bless your honesty. I dont have the right (as a leader) to speak into this but I just wanted to say thank you for posting this every week.

    ReplyDelete